It’s Saturday morning, it’s a sunny day…You’ve got better things to be doing than slogging through a blow by blow account of what happened a few hour ago on Smackdown, right?
Instead, allow us to summarise the key moments that took place on last night’s show. Moments worth picking out to have a gander at on YouTube maybe?
– In the opening segment of the show, The Miz & John Morrison welcomed Braun Strowman to The Dirt Sheet. As well as setting up a match between Strowman and Miz on the night (Much to the A-lister’s chagrin), it also led to the confirmation of a match at Backlash that would see the Monster Among Men defend his Universal Championship against the ‘Hey Hey’ duo.
– AJ Styles faced Shinsuke Nakamura in the first round of the Intercontinental Championship tournament. While it’s fair to say their previous WWE matches against one another have been underwhelming compared to huge expectations, this might have been the pick of the bunch. It was announced that Styles’ tournament entry would not be a one off. He has been traded to SmackDown permanently.
– SmackDown Women’s Champion, Bayley defeated NXT Women’s Champ Charlotte Flair clean in what could be considered a minor upset. Bayley had asked Sasha Banks not to join her at ringside so she could prove to the world she could do the business without her best friend’s help. Turns out she could. More mild tension was teased between Sasha and Bayley after the match. This one is going to pop soon.
– Otis and Mandy Rose faced Dolph Ziggler and Sonya Deville in a mixed tag team bout. It was a strong match with more intensity than you might expect from a match such as this. Sonya hit a truly vicious looking knee to the back of Mandy’s head to secure the win for her team.
– The main event saw Jeff Hardy advance to the next round of the ongoing tournament by defeating Sheamus. The Irishman had been pegged as a favourite to win the IC title before the brackets were announced but clearly, this isn’t happening.
And that’s Smackdown guys. Now go and enjoy your day.