On last night’s episode of NXT, the fifth and final match was announced for next week’s New Year’s Evil special.
The match will see Gran Metalik face Santos Escobar for the latter’s NXT Cruiserweight Championship.
The match came about when the Legado Del Fantasma faction took to the ring to ask for more tag team competition. The call was met by Metalik and Lince Dorado, The Lucha House Party.
After they defeated Joaquin Wilde and Raul Mendoza, Metalik was granted a title shot against the leader of the group on next week’s special.
Escobar has been champion since May when he defeated Drake Maverick in the final of a tournament to win the vacant championship. At the time of his win he wore a mask and wrestled as El Hijo del Fantasma. He removed the mask, changed his name and turned heel upon winning the title, joining up with Wilde and Mendoza in the process.
NXT New Year’s Evil will take place on Wednesday 6th January 2021. UK viewers can watch it live on BT Sport or on a one week delay on the WWE Network. The full card is below:
- NXT Championship Match: Finn Balor vs’ Kyle O’Reilly
- NXT Cruiserweight Championship Match: Santos Escobar vs. Gran Metalik
- Fight Pit Match: Tommaso Ciampa vs. Timothy Thatcher
- Last Woman Standing Match: Rhea Ripley vs. Raquel Gonzalez
- Damian Priest vs. Karrion Kross