1993 – Jim Ross made his debut as a regular commentator alongside Bobby Heenan at the WWF Wrestling Challenge tapings from Phoenix, Arizona. Three First Round qualifying tournament matches for the upcoming first King of The Ring pay-per-view took place. The “Narcissist” Lex Luger defeated Bob Backland by countout, “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan advanced over Papa Shango. And Mr. Perfect wrestled to a time limit draw with Doink The Clown.
1993 – The remaining First Round qualifying tournament matches for the King of the Ring took place in Tuscon, Arizona. Razor Ramon pinned El Matador Tito Santana, Tatanka advanced over Giant Gonzales by disqualification, and Mr Perfect and Doink The Clown wrestled to another time limit draw.
1997 – The second WCW Spring Stampede pay-per-view took place in Tupelo, Mississippi. The event is unfortunately remembered for a botched promo from Booker T, and Scott Hall famously no-showing the event.
On the card:
- Rey Mysterio Jr defeated Ultimate Dragon
- Akiru Hokuto retained the WCW Women’s Championship against Madusa.
- Prince Iaukea defeated Lord Steven Regal to retain the WCW World Television Championship.
- The Public Enemy defeated Steve McMichael & Jeff Jarrett.
- Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit fought to a no contest in a match for the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship.
- Kevin Nash defeated Rick Steiner to retain the WCW World Tag Team Championship. A storyline was presented showing Scott Steiner being arrested earlier in the evening to explain why the scheduled tag-team match creative was changed.
- Lex Luger defeated The Giant, Booker T and Stevie Ray in a Four Corners match to determine the new number contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.
- Diamond Dallas Page defeated Randy Savage in the main event No Disqualification match.
2009 – The fallout from Wrestlemania XXV is felt on WWE Raw from Dallas when Mr. McMahon faced Randy Orton in the main event which is ruled as a no-contest due to interference from Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiase Jr, Shane Mc Mahon and a returning Batista. Also in a special WrestleMania All-Star 10 man tag team match C.M. Punk, Jeff Hardy, John Cena, Rey Mysterio, and Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat defeated the team of Chris Jericho, Edge, Kane, Matt Hardy and The Big Show.
2010 – Rey Mysterio defeated C.M. Punk in a Street Fight on the WWE Smackdown taping from the All State Arena in Chicago.
2014 – Wrestlemania XXX was held in New Orleans at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in front of over 75,000 fans. The event made the WWE made $10 million in ticket sales for the event. This was the first WrestleMania event to be aired on the WWE Network, and includes a number of memorable moment including an opening in-ring segment with Hulk Hogan, The Rock and Stone Steve Austin as well as one of the biggest shocks in professional wrestling history.
On the card:
- The Usos retained the retained the WWE Tag Team Championship in a Fatal 4-Way Elimination match against RybAxel Ryback & Curtis Axel, The Real Americans Jack Swagger & Cesaro, and Los Matadores on the Pre Show.
- Daniel Bryan defeated Triple H to earn a place in the WWE World Heavyweight Champion main event match with Randy Orton, and the 2014 Royal Rumble winner Batista.
- The Shield defeated Kane & The New Age Outlaws in a Six-Man tag team match.
- Cesaro won the very first Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal.
- John Cena defeated Bray Wyatt.
- Brock Lesnar defeated The Undertaker. The Undertaker’s famous WrestleMania winning streak ran from 1991 at and hit 21-0 before this loss. The outcome of this match was genuinely one of the biggest shocks in WrestleMania history.
- AJ Lee won the Vickie Guerrero Invitation Match for the WWE Divas Championship.
- Daniel Bryan defeated Randy Orton and Batista for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in the Triple-Threat main event.
2014 – At NJPW’s ‘Invasion Attack!’ event at Sumo Hall in Tokyo, Japan, Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi to win the IWGP Intercontinental Championship in the main event. Also on the card, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima beat Jax Dane & Rob Conway to win the NWA World Tag Team Championship and Tomohiro Ishii won the NEVER Openweight Championship with a win over Tetsuya Naito. Prince Devitt also took part in his final match in Japan before signing with WWE the following month. The future Finn Balor lost to Ryusuke Taguchi.
2018 – Tomohiro Ishill defeated Zack Sabre Jr for the RevPro British Heavyweight Title in the main event of the REV Pro WrestleCon show at The Sugar Hill in New Orleans.
Notable Wrestling Birthdays
- Peter Maivia (1937)